What Motorcycle or Scooter Training Do You Need?
If you're new to the world of two wheels you may yet know what training you want or need. Below is a quick overview and guide. You can find more detail in our advice centre or call us on 0203 603 9652 to talk it through with a member of our friendly team.
Want to ride a scooter, moped or small motorcycle up to 125cc? - You'll need to complete a CBT Training course.
To book a CBT you'll need:
- Valid UK provisional or driving licence
- Be able to ride an adult sized bicycle
- Read a registration plate at 20 meters
- Speak English and understand the Highway Code
- Be at least 16 years old
You can book a CBT course with a great local school from our homepage here.
The only people who don't have to take a CBT to ride passed the UK driving test BEFORE February 2001 AND only want to ride a 50cc moped, everyone else needs to complete a CBT course to ride on the road.
Summary of CBT licence:
- You'll need to display L plates on your motorcycle or scooter
- You can't carry passengers
- You can't ride on motorways
- The certificate last 2 years after which you'll need to take the course again or upgrade to a full motorcycle licence
The CBT Training Course
- Is typically completed within 1 day
- Is training and not a test
- You'll cover every element to make you save on the roads; basic bike controls, maintenance, clothing, handling, highway code and spend at least 2 hours riding on the road with your instructor
- If the instructor feels you need more training, they'll ask you come back for further training
- Once completed you'll be issues a CBT certificate and be able to ride a bike right away
Check out our guide to CBT training for more of an idea of what you'll do on the day.
Ready to get started?
Want to ride a motorbike with an engine bigger than 125cc or take passengers?
You first need to complete the CBT training. Then you'll need to pass your motorcycle theory test and the motorcycle full licence practical tests (module 1 and module 2). The below infographic illustrates the different requirements for each licence. You can read more about these in detail here.
Still not sure? Call us on 0203 603 9652 to talk it through with a member of our friendly team.
Ready to get started?