Left arrow

back to the blog

Licences & Laws

What Motorcycle or Scooter Training Do You Need?


James B · March 23, 2018

If you're new to the world of two wheels you may yet know what training you want or need. Below is a quick overview and guide. You can find more detail in our advice centre to talk it through with a member of our friendly team.

Want to ride a scooter, moped or small motorcycle up to 125cc? - You'll need to complete a CBT Training course.

To book a CBT you'll need:

  • Valid UK provisional or driving licence
  • Be able to ride an adult-sized bicycle
  • Read a registration plate at 20 meters
  • Speak English and understand the Highway Code
  • Be at least 16 years old

You can book a CBT course with a great local school from our homepage here.

The only people who don't have to take a CBT to ride passed the UK driving test BEFORE February 2001 AND only want to ride a 50cc moped, everyone else needs to complete a CBT course to ride on the road.

Summary of CBT licence:

  • You'll need to display L plates on your motorcycle or scooter
  • You can't carry passengers
  • You can't ride on motorways
  • The certificate last 2 years after which you'll need to take the course again or upgrade to a full motorcycle licence

The CBT Training Course

  • Is typically completed within 1 day
  • Is training and not a test
  • You'll cover every element to make you save on the roads; basic bike controls, maintenance, clothing, handling, highway code and spend at least 2 hours riding on the road with your instructor
  • If the instructor feels you need more training, they'll ask you to come back for further training
  • Once completed you'll be issued a CBT certificate and be able to ride a bike right away

Check out our guide to CBT training for more of an idea of what you'll do on the day.

Want to ride a motorbike with an engine bigger than 125cc or take passengers?

You first need to complete the CBT training. Then you'll need to pass your motorcycle theory test and the motorcycle full licence practical tests (module 1 and module 2). The below infographic illustrates the different requirements for each licence. You can read more about these in detail here.

RideTo infographic

This information is given to you as a guide to support you in your choice of licence and RideTo has made every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information provided about motorcycle licence and training requirements. However, RideTo cannot guarantee the information is up to date, correct and complete and is therefore provided on an "as is" basis only. RideTo accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss or damage howsoever arising. We recommend that you verify the current licence and training requirements by checking the DVSA website.