Left arrow

back to the blog

Licences & Laws
Beginner Advice

Legal Documents Needed to Ride a Scooter or Motorbike in the UK


James B · February 18, 2021

So you've just passed your CBT- congratulations! Now you will need to sort out all the legal documents required for you and your bike to legally ride on UK roads.

VRD - Vehicle Registration Documents

This contains your personal details and the make, model, engine size and number of your bike as well as the year it was first registered. If you buy a second hand motorbike you will need to make sure you get this from the seller. If you buy a new motorcycle the DVLA will send you a VRD once the dealer has registered the bike.


    Every motorcyclist has to be insured to protect themselves and others when driving on the roads. There are lots of companies out there who offer insurance, you can read our advice what to consider before buying insurance or we can help you compare quotes?


      Every motorcycle, moped and scooter over 3 years old requires a yearly MOT to check it is roadworthy. If it passes you will get a certificate , if it fails you will need to get its faults corrected before it can be legal on the roads again.


      All motorcycles on UK roads must be taxed, the amount depends on your bikes engine size (CC). This will need to be paid every year either online, by phone or at a Post Office. You will need your motorbikes registration document and the logbook (V5C), proof of insurance and proof of a MOT if required.

        This information is given to you as a guide to support you in your choice of licence and RideTo has made every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information provided about motorcycle licence and training requirements. However, RideTo cannot guarantee the information is up to date, correct and complete and is therefore provided on an "as is" basis only. RideTo accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss or damage howsoever arising. We recommend that you verify the current licence and training requirements by checking the DVSA website.