Left arrow

back to the blog

Can I Ride a Motorcycle on My Provisional?


Tom Baker · December 13, 2017

The first step to your motorcycle journey is applying for your provisional licence. This licence allows you to ride a motorcycle legally on UK roads once you have completed the CBT.

To apply you must :

  1. Be aged 15 years and 9 months or older
  2. Be able to read a number plate from 20 metres away
  3. Be a UK permanent resident [to be a permanent resident, you must have lived in UK for a 185 days or more]
  4. Provide addresses you’ve lived over the last 3 years.
  5. Pay £34 to the DVLA by debit or credit card
  6. Provide a national Insurance number if known

You must also provide one of the following identity documents :

  1. The 9 digit code printed on your UK biometric passport [where the photo and signature are on the same page]
  2. A non digital passport
  3. Biometric residence permit [BRP]
  4. EU/EEA identity card
  5. UK Certificate of naturalization
  6. Valid visa document

Apply for your provisional licence through the DVLA

*Note: The DVLA may request that you send in original copies of these documents with your provisional licence application if an identity check does not tally. In that case, photocopied or laminated certificates including duplicates which are certified will NOT be accepted.

The cheapest and fastest way is to apply online. You should expect to receive the provisional licence within one week if applied online. Sign up to our Provisional Licence guide for the full detail, online application and step by step process.

Provisional Licence FAQs

Do I need a provisional licence card to take a CBT test?

Yes you do. You will also need to take the provisional licence card on the day of training.

Are there other ways to apply for my provisional licence if I can’t do it online?

Yes, you can request for a D1 form at a post office or through a DVLA form ordering service.

Do I need a debit or credit card to make an application payment online?

Yes you do. These are the only methods to pay the DVLA.

Can I ride a motorcycle after receiving my provisional licence ?

You are only allowed to ride a scooter accompanied by an instructor at a CBT training. You can only ride unaccompanied after your CBT training.

Book Your CBT

This information is given to you as a guide to support you in your choice of licence and RideTo has made every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information provided about motorcycle licence and training requirements. However, RideTo cannot guarantee the information is up to date, correct and complete and is therefore provided on an "as is" basis only. RideTo accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss or damage howsoever arising. We recommend that you verify the current licence and training requirements by checking the DVSA website.