Free 1-2-1 Motorcycle Skills Course
Develop your skills
The aims of this course are to:
• Equip riders with the skills required to ride safely on urban roads, including how to filter, overtake and ride in bus lanes
• Improve riders’ hazard perception and defensive riding skills, e.g. when approaching a junction
• Promote the appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
• Help riders to understand the need to ride at speeds appropriate to the road conditions
• Promote further training if there is a need
How You Qualify For the Course:
1-2-1 Motorcycle Skills training sessions will be available to anyone who lives, works or studies in any of the 33 London boroughs, with a strong emphasis on those riders who are:
• Between the ages of 16 and 40
• Inexperienced and holding a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) certificate only
• Riding to commute to/from work or education
• Using a low-powered motorcycle, scooter or moped
However, it open to all riders who live, study or work in any of the 33 London boroughs (e.g. full motorcycle licence holders, all ages, etc.).
Location: The instructor comes to you (e.g. to your home, workplace, neutral location, etc.). 1-2-1 Motorcycle Skills training sessions are Client-led, they are based on what the Client wants to learn, and the routes they want to ride. Clients will be encouraged to select the route(s) they use most often, or which they find most challenging.
Duration: two (2) hours
Valid Driving Licences: You must have a valid licence to ride a motorcycle/scooter legally in the U.K.
How the Course Works:
The Assessment Ride
The assessment ride will consist in the instructor following the rider and analysing their riding skills on a public road, including (if possible), but not limited to, the analysis of the following core areas:
• Normal Road Positioning
• Separation Distance
• Appropriate Use of Speed
• Use of Observations
• Use of Mirrors
• Road Attitude
• Junction Approach Procedures (e.g. OSMPSL)
• Roundabout Procedures (mini, standard, multi-lane, etc.)
• Reaction to Other Road Users
• Progress / Hesitancy
• Corners / Bends
• Motorways / Dual Carriageways (if available/allowed, e.g. full motorcycle licence, etc.)
The trainer will provide feedback to the rider as it progresses via radio/stops, using video and other training aids where relevant.
At the end of the session, the instructor will provide both verbal and written feedback to the rider.
Finally, a Certificate of Completion will be issued on Behalf of Transport for London and the Instructor and given to the rider.
To book: The easiest way to book is online, please click here.